Ample amount of waste is generated every day on our earth and every individual holds a significant contribution in it. These wastes in some way or the other are harmful to our environment and if they are not properly dealt then they eventually succumb to pollution. Humans have developed a number of ways to tackle it. All methods which are used to deal with wastes employ the principle of the three R’s- REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE. A majority of the population is concerned to inculcate three R’s in their daily life which though not suffices but still a step for uplifting earth from stranded to a healthy position. Our brazen deeds and irresponsible behavior towards our mother earth has led to the extinction of many species and had scathed the earth hence it is our duty to preserve it for our children.
Human needs are insatiable but we can try to fulfill them in a manner which does not harm our environment. An epitome step to help our environment is not to produce waste.
- Purchase products which use less packaging plastics, foils, and paper. Some goods are over-packed even though they don’t need to be. Purchase things in bulk and plan a shopping list so that you don’t buy things in impulse
- Buy things which will not go out of fashion quickly and which are durable- ones made of good quality material and hence have a long life and save money in long run.
- Carry your own jute or cloth shopping bags while going out for shopping instead of requesting for plastic bags at the shops
- Usage of disposable goods should be reduced. Throwaways contribute to wastes and are difficult to recycle
- Prefer borrowing, sharing or hiring things which are occasionally required.
- Do not take printouts of unnecessary things such as tickets instead carry them on phones or tabs. Read magazines and newspaper online instead of purchasing their hard copies.
- Use washable cloth napkins instead of paper napkins and use cloth for cleaning purpose instead of paper.
- Cars contribute to pollution. Some ways in which we can reduce the environmental damage caused by cars are carpooling with friends, walking and taking the bus.
- Purchase refillable items such as mechanical pencils and refillable pens.
- Use both sides of paper for printing or other purposes.
We can reduce the enormous amount of waste by putting some efforts which apart from reducing waste generation will also help us to save money for a better future.
Despite consistent efforts to reduce the waste generated, consumers and industries still produce substantial waste. Much of this waste can be immediately reused efficiently to minimize the strain on the environment and municipal waste management. Instead of throwing things away, try to find ways to reuse them. It makes economic and environmental sense to reuse products.
- Save paper made out things and reuse them. Repair broke appliances, furniture, and toys and prefer not to throw plastic bags, jute bags, and cloth bags instead reuse them.
- People can refill purchased water bottles with water from home to reduce the number of plastic bottles being discarded.
- Sell old clothes, packaged foods, furniture, toys, textbooks, story books etc or donate them to charities.
- Use cans and glass bottles as pen holders or containers for various things.
- Clean and reuse washable cutlery and crockery for the next party or festive celebration.
- Convert scrap paper into memo pads.
- Segregate organic waste in homes and schools and compost it into soil conditioners or fertilizers for plantings in a school garden or kitchen garden.
- Do not cook food in bulk and store it in refrigerators so that it can be used later.
- Reuse used envelopes for sending internal emails.
Many things that we use in our day to day lives can be recycled into new products. Recycling is a series of steps that takes a used material and processes, remanufactures, and sells it as a new product.When waste is eventually discarded, segregating items for recycling from another waste is important. In addition to recycling the things you buy, you can help the environment by buying products that contain recycled materials. Recyclable items should be segregated from nonrecyclable ones and then should be turned into a useable form.
- Purchase more of those products which are made up of recycled materials. Buy Green Label Products.
- Papers, files, hardboards, etc used at offices or colleges must not be discarded after use rather must be sent for recycling.
- Vegetable wastes in household kitchens should be regularly separated and sent for recycling
We should implement the three R’s in our day to day lives for a better and healthy earth. Practicing them reduces land pollution to a greater extent and also helps us in the conserving environment. We need to put our heartiest efforts from today only to provide a lively and beautiful earth to our future generations